5 Things to do in Duluth for an Unforgettable Fall Getaway
You’ll never run out of great things to do in Duluth during a relaxing fall getaway. The city is at its most beautiful with the glowing autumn colors reflected on shimmering Lake Superior. It’s the perfect weather for walking along the Lakewalk path or the grounds of Glensheen Mansion. While the summer crowds have gone, the city is still filled with activities and entertaining shows to enjoy. Top off a wonderful day hiking, visiting a museum or seeing a play, cuddled up in a romantic cafe or cozy pub.
Make your getaway even more romantic at an elegant bed and breakfast. The Traditional Inns of Duluth has six member bed and breakfasts located near all the Duluth attractions. All serve amazing, gourmet breakfasts that prepare you for another day of adventures. While each inn has its own unique style, they all offer luxurious guest rooms with the very best hospitality. Choose your next charming bed and breakfast getaway for an unforgettable fall vacation with plenty of fun things to do in Duluth.
5 Fantastic Things to do in Duluth
Duluth has the perfect blend of outdoor recreation along with culture and entertainment. Add in wonderful restaurant choices and you’ll always amazing things to do in Duluth. Build your ideal day on the shores of Lake Superior and experience all the Duluth offers this fall:
- Fall Foliage Hiking and Biking – Even within the busy city center Duluth visitors will find a surprising number of forest oasis and beautiful hiking trails. No matter where you are in Duluth, you’re never far from the serenity of nature. One of the easiest hikes is the famous Lakewalk alongside Lake Superior. This flat paved 8-mile trail is pedestrian and bicycle-friendly with great views. Head up to Park Point for more stunning water views. This lovely beach walk rewards you with a 360 degree view of Lake Superior. Pick up the hilly hike in Hartley Park for great Lake Superior views from a higher vantage point. While Enger Park and its five story tower offers panoramic city views. Other great hiking trails can be found at Congdon, Lester, Chester and Lincoln Park. For the greatest choice of trail length and difficulty pick up the Superior Hiking Trail in Duluth. It has hundreds of miles of trails, great for a short walk or a challenging all-day excursion. Fall is also the best time to visit the Hawk Ridge Nature Reserve. Not only does the park have hiking trails with great views, it’s the best time of year to watch the raptor migration, a truly stunning site.
- Take a Tour of Historical Sites – When looking for interesting historical things to do in Duluth most head straight to the stunning Glensheen Mansion. This lovingly restored 20th century estate has expansive gardens and 39 rooms to tour year-round. The newly added Full Mansion Tour includes the third floor and attic. While the carriage house and boathouse are part of the Nooks and Crannies tour. Sip an adult beverage during the night-time 21 Plus Flashlight Tour and see the house aglow in firelight. Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center also explores Duluth’s past. Right next to the iconic Aerial Lift Bridge, this museum offers exhibits with rare artifacts, documents, publications and photographs of the city’s maritime heritage. For full city tours, The Duluth Experience, has several walking and bus tours on many local topics. Learn more about the original Native Americans and their discovery of the area and the changes that came with the European settlers. Then the eventual transformation of Duluth into a shipping hub of the nation. Delve into the darker side of Duluth on the Dark History Bus tour. Hear the infamous and lesser-known mysteries of the city. Explore historic downtown buildings and strange but true stories of their hauntings. Also check out their Duluth brewery tours. They’re a lot of fun and great during the fall.
- Art Museums and Gallery Walks – Duluth has two wonderful museums for art lovers and both offer rotating exhibits throughout the year. The Duluth Art Institute displays modern art in every medium from paintings, fiber arts, sculpture, to photography and more. While Tweed Art Museum’s collections covers a range of cultures and time periods within art history. On the final Friday of each month you’ll find art everywhere in downtown Duluth. The Downtown Art Walks is a night of art and entertainment held in galleries, bars, and restaurants in the center of the city.
- Duluth’s Performing Arts – Make your day in Duluth very special and catch a show or concert at one of the performing arts venues. The amazing choice of entertainment makes this one of our favorite things to do in Duluth. Enjoy a famous musical, comedy, or drama in the elegant Art Deco Duluth Playhouse. With multiple arenas, stages and halls the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center (DECC) is the hub for big events and shows in the city. You can come here for a hockey game, rock concert, symphony performance, Broadway show, or ballet.While Zeitgeist Arts offers great dining, cocktails and entertainment all under one roof. This small venue hosts comedy improv, original plays and indie movies.
- Enjoy Great Restaurants – Like all great cities, Duluth also has an amazing choice of wonderful restaurants. After exploring all the exciting things to do in Duluth, treat yourself to a great night of fine dining. Lake Avenue Restaurant, Bellisio’s Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar, and Va Bene Caffe all offer delicious, creative dishes in a romantic setting. They’re the perfect places for an intimate date-night in the city. For a fun and more casual night visit a historic pub that serves tasty comfort food and excellent local beer. Plan a relaxing evening at the Canal Park Brewing Company or Pickwick Restaurant & Pub. Outside of the busy city center find two fantastic farm-to-table cafes. The Scenic Café and At Sara’s Table are both romantic hideaways off the beaten path.
Discover all the amazing things to do in Duluth this fall and treat yourself to a relaxing escape on the shores of Lake Superior. Find your perfect accommodations at the lovely bed and breakfasts of The Traditional Inns of Duluth. Your romantic getaway is waiting!